Sunday, March 23, 2014

That One Toy

When I was young, there was this one toy I had wanted so bad. It was the new Tyrannosaurus Rex. It was this beautiful majestic monster that was over 4 inches tall. Every part of it was amazing: its tiny sharp razor claws, its gigantic jaws with menacing teeth, its powerful legs, its muscular tail.  However, I could never have it. My older brother, Troy, took it every time. He put it up his nose, chewed on it, sneezed on it, coughed on it, and threw up on it. I still wanted it bad. All I had was my stupid Pikachu action figure. It was cool, but it just seemed so normal: his average eyes, his ordinary lightening bolt tail, and his typical cute Pokemon body. This wasn't enough for me! I wanted something more, something unusual, something different! I had spent all my 3 months in preschool playing with that simple toy and I wanted to step up in the world and play with the big boys. I wanted the Tyrannosaurus Rex! This is called the Wanting-something-you-can't-have disorder. David Sedaris also talks about this phenomenon and how he wants his life to be more exciting. He compares and contrasts the life of his partner Hugh and himself and begins to become jealous over the numerous adventures Hugh had as a child. As Sedaris looks back, he realized that maybe he should be happy with his life and not envy his partners difficult life. When I read, that piece, I decided to do the same. I must get over this cruel and difficult disorder.


No comments:

Post a Comment