Sunday, March 9, 2014

Staples

I was at Staples the other day and saw a large, tall African American man. While others might say that he looks like a bit suspicious, I stayed calm. However, as he came closer and closer to me, for some apparent reason I became nervous and scared; my mind began to go crazy and I could not think straight. This big African American was black looked like he was going to mug me and steal all my stuff and I was freaking out and was sweating and felt like prey that a lion would eat and it was all scary and I didn't know what to do. But then he passed me. And with a sigh of relief I continued my shopping. Then I realized something. I just profiled this person that I didn't even know. I was pretty ashamed of what I did, but then I asked myself why I did that. Maybe just like how the African American girl who profiled Jeannette Walls as a weak white girl, I profiled this normal African American man as the stereotypical thug life black male. This stereotyping is a dark evil fire that glows in our society. Jimi Hendrix is one of the few men who have changed the public space with his music. Unlike the fates in Greek Mythology, who control everyone's destiny, he changed his fate by changing the way people saw him. By being different, he was able to break out of the stereotype and be looked as great and as a legend. He was like an alien from outerspace, changing the public space.

No comments:

Post a Comment